Sunday, March 24, 2013

Southern Fried Burlesque Fest


This weekend marked the third annual Southern Fried Burlesque Fest, a festival produced by Katherine "Lashe" Nelsund. The festival attracted burlesque, and boylesque, performers from as far as Denver, Colorado and Toronto, Canada. Click here for the website. Click here for Creative Loafing's article and pictures.

The festival offered classes and workshops during the day with performances and competitions in the evenings. I bought a Saturday ticket which granted me access to all of the classes and shows. I attended a Charleston class from 2012's King of Burlesque, Russell Bruner, and a Poses and Transition class from 2012's Queen of Burlesque, Roxi DLite. Here is a short video I took with my iPhone.

I had no idea that I'd see my fellow classmates performing later. In class with me were the Acromantics from New Orleans, and Atlanta's own Taloolah Love and Sunny Midnight.

I checked out a camera over spring break and fully intended to experiment with it so that I would be prepared to film Saturday's show, but that didn't happen. Instead, I showed up Saturday night schlepping a tripod, a mic, and a camera and had to set it all up in the dark. And then I realized that I had forgotten to bring my SDHC card. Luckily, there was a CVS across the street. I cheaped out and bought an 8 GB since I already had a 16 at home. I came to regret this halfway through the show. By the time I finally got the hang of the camera, I'd run out of card space! Shozbutz Min! I frantically tried to delete earlier footage in order to make space, but still wasn't able to record all that I wanted to. I'm not sure we'll want to or be able to use the footage in our film, but I'd like to be able to post the performances on YouTube for the entertainers.

All of the performances were entertaining, but some really struck me for their artistry, ability, and courage. The Acromantics blew me away with their sheer strength and athleticism. The couple did acrobatic stunts with the man lifting the woman in various poses while she stripped! I was amazed!

A group from Knoxville, Salome Cabaret,performed the Carol of the Bells with the bells mounted, er, on their bosoms! Their gentleman member's bell was mounted on his, uh, member! Burlesque is often associated with the striptease act, which, like burlesque, grew out of the vaudeville tradition. Burlesque retains vaudeville's camp and humor and Salome Cabaret have used humor to great effect in their routines.

Not only do burlesque acts entertain with athleticism and humor, some acts can even impart social messages. Perhaps my favorite act of the night was that of Üla Überbusen. Any description I give would hardly do it justice. I caught the first minute of her act on film and will post that when I can.

Here is another act I really enjoyed. So graceful and fluid. Be advised, there is some nudity. This is Deanna Danger from Baltimore, MD performing.




No comments:

Post a Comment